Thursday, February 18, 2010

First Seeding

first planting

I seeded the first trays going onto our propagation shelf yesterday morning. Some of them are a little late, but it's been really cold here, so I don't think that things will be able to go into the ground as early as normal anyway. This tray has cooler season crops: Early Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Romanesco Italia Broccoli, Copenhagen Market Cabbage, Nero di Toscana Kale, Snowball Cauliflower, Georgia Collards, Southern Giant Collards, Black Curled Scotch Kale, Carentan Leeks, Paris Island Romaine, and, in the other corner, Chinese Chives and Common Chives that are covered because they need darkness to germinate.

Unfortunately, when I misted them this morning, it looked as though the rope light below that tray had already gone out. I'm going to go mess with it and see if maybe the connection just came loose or something, but I'll probably need to move the tray, pull it and replace it. The sand and plastic is still quite warm, so I'm not too worried about it for the time being. I just hope that this isn't typical of the brand of lights that we bought.

-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment