Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Safer Seeds

heirlooms from baker creek

I have strong feelings about Monsanto that I'm not going go into in this post. I'll just say that we do everything that we can to avoid all Monsanto products. If you're interested in the reasons why, here are a few links:

Millions Against Monsanto
The World According to Monsanto
The Future of Food

We buy most of our seed from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. They have an insane inventory of amazing heirloom varieties; it took us over an hour to narrow down our tomato choices alone. I've been really happy with the customer service and germination rates of the seed we've bought over the past few years. While we plan to make our major order from them again this year, I've decided to do some research on other ethical, non-gmo seed companies as well.

I found this list of Monsanto-free seed companies and cross referenced the companies with the reviews on Garden Watchdog. The following list is comprised of the safe companies that have the most positive reviews. I haven't ordered from most of them, but I'm hoping to support a few this year. If you have any personal experience with any of these companies--or others I should know about, I'd love to hear about it.

Botanical Interests
Bountiful Gardens
High Mowing Organic Seeds
Horizon Herbs
Kitchen Garden Seeds
Mountain Rose Herbs
New Hope Seed Company
Sand Hill Preservation Center
Victory Heirloom Seed
Wood Prairie Farm
Southern Exposure Seed Exchange

-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment