Thursday, July 29, 2010
Well, it's true that we couldn't keep up with the Can Jam, but that doesn't mean that we haven't been canning. We harvested around 60 pounds of tomatoes last week, so it was time to make some salsa! I've read a ton of rave reviews of Annie's Salsa on Gardenweb, so I read through this thread, which lists all the safe alterations and decided on the version that I thought would suit us best. I was a little hesitant to use a recipe that calls for tomato sauce and paste. After all, we're growing and canning in an attempt to AVOID having to make those kinds of purchases. But, everyone says that it makes for a better texture, so I decided to leave it in this time. We'll probably reduce the amounts with each batch in an attempt to find a balance between best tasting and least dependent on outside products.
These are the changes that we made:
-Instead of 1 cup of apple cider vinegar, we used 1/3 cup each of lemon juice, lime juice and ACV.
-Instead of sugar, we used honey.
-For a hotter salsa, we used 1 cup of jalapenos and 3/4 cup of red peppers to reach the 1 3/4 cup of peppers.
-We only used 12 oz. of tomato paste.
Most of the recipes list a final product of 6-7 jars, but we ended up with a scant 8. This salsa is really good--and pretty hot because we didn't deseed any of the peppers.
Posted by megan/mason at 8:51 AM